Professional Development Options
While the use of the Your Journey Together curriculum does not require professional development, there are a number of professional development options that can serve to maximize the understanding and use of the materials associated with the curriculum. To that end, the Devereux Center for Resilient Children offers several options for professional development to meet the ranging needs of your local program/community.
Option 1: Recorded Online Training Series
- This option offers access to a recorded online training series that provides background information on each of the four Your Journey Together modules. While these recordings do not review specific lessons found in the Your Journey Together Curriculum, they provide rich content pertaining to the resilience of children, adults, and care-giving environments that set the stage for using the curriculum with families. To purchase these recordings, click on the “add to cart” button below.
Option 2: Author-Led Live Webinar on the Your Journey Together Curriculum
- In this 2.5 hour live webinar, a YJT author will take participants through the mechanics of implementing the YJT Curriculum. Topic for this live session include a walk through of sample lessons associated with each module, effectively using parent handouts and leave behind activities, and tips for effective coaching.
Option 3: Recorded Online Training Series & an Author-Led Live Webinar on the Your Journey Together Curriculum
- This option offers access to the recorded trainings described above, along with a live 2.5 hour author-led webinar described above. Together, the recorded and live webinars offer a comprehensive look at the YJT content areas along with specific support from a YJT author regarding YJT Curriculum implementation.
Option 4: 1-Day Your Journey Together Training
- This option provides a live trainer qualified to deliver the 1-Day Your Journey Together Training at your local program. This professional development option would provide both the background information related to the 4 modules of the Your Journey Together Curriculum along with many hands-on opportunities to practice interfacing with the YJT curriculum itself.
Resources Required for Training
For options 2 ,3 and 4, it is recommended that each participant have access to the Your Journey Together Kit. While a program may not be prepared to purchase a YJT Kit for each participant at the time that the author-led portion of the training is delivered, it is important to note that the training will focus on the use of these resources. Therefore, it is up to the program to ensure that the adequate quantity of YJT Kits are made available to participants for either the webinar or live delivery of professional development.
About Your Journey Together
Your Journey Together (YJT) is a strength-based curriculum designed to promote the social and emotional well-being and resilience of vulnerable children and their families. The YJT curriculum focuses on empowering parents to promote safe, trusting, and healing environments—all key elements of a trauma-sensitive program. The YJT curriculum is facilitated by a coach, who is typically a social worker, case worker, home visitor, or other family-serving professional. While YJT was specifically designed for families with children up to age 6 many of the concepts apply to families with children of all ages.
The Your Journey Together Curriculum is organized into four modules:
- Module 1: Introducing Resilience
- Module 2: Strengthening Caregiving Practices that Promote Resilience
- Module 3: Strengthening Children’s Protective Factors
- Module 4: Promoting the Resilient Adult Caregiver
The lessons associated with each module are designed to show parents how everyday routines, activities, and interactions help promote resilience in young children and the adults caring for them.