From Debi Mahler, LCSW, Director of Professional Development
And there it was. Cleaning out her backpack after a long week, I see my fifth grade daughter’s spelling assignment. Ouch! PREOCCUPIED…my child speaks the truth. Until that moment, I didn’t realize that SHE was noticing.
Once again, I notice that the world works in mysterious ways. Every quarter, the staff at DCRC contributes to our quarterly newsletter. This quarter, I am charged with the task of writing about professional development offerings relating to Building Your Bounce, promoting the well-being and resilience for those who care for children. The irony! Reading this sentence on my daughter’s assignment produced this initial reaction: OUCH! Then, I took myself to a place where I wanted to be…a parent (and person!) who is present, engaged, and connected. Nobody is perfect. Certainly not me. With that said, to be present, engaged, and connected with my kids (and friends, colleagues, and other family members), I wholeheartedly know that it is downright imperative that I make time to take care of myself. That evening, after my kids went to bed, I took out my copy of Building Your Bounce: Simple Strategies for a Resilient You. This little book is a treasure! It is a fantastic resource that can be picked up, put down, and picked back up again at any time. Treat yourself to the experience. The book never fails to make me smile and get reconnected to the many things that are important to me in this world. Preoccupied, no more! (At least for that evening!)
In all seriousness, DCRC offers a wide variety of professional development opportunities for professionals to learn more about the importance of Building Your Bounce and strategies that help to make the process of taking care of yourself an everyday practice.
- Building Your Bounce: Promoting Adult Resilience Training
- This training/workshop/keynote can provide an educational and inspirational start to the school year. Using the Devereux Adult Resilience Survey (DARS) and journal published by the Devereux Center for Resilient Children, this workshop is a fun way for caregivers to recognize the importance of their own resilience and how it relates to their ability to provide quality care to the children in their care. Get ready to reflect, laugh, and have fun!
- Advanced Building Your Bounce: Promoting Adult Resilience Training
- Has your program received training on Building Your Bounce in the past? This next-level training dives deeper into the understanding the characteristics of resilience in adults and provides additional strategies on how to strengthen these areas through simple, everyday strategies. As we all know, it is critically important to take care of ourselves.
- Building Your Bounce: Promoting Adult Resilience Professional Development Learning Series
- DCRC offers recorded webinars on key content related to adult resilience. If your program is looking for a refresher or perhaps a learning experience to occur over time, this option may be for you! Complete with interactive elements within the webinars along with a facilitator’s guide and group discussion questions at the conclusion of each webinar, this professional development opportunity offers a cost-efficient and flexible way to share content with your staff. For more information, click here!
- Resilient Leadership: Building Staff Bounce!
- In this training, leaders will have an opportunity to reflect on what it means to be a resilient leader and how to build the bounce of staff. Leaders will use the Devereux Resilient Leadership Survey (DERLS) to reflect on ways to support their staff resilience. This training provides many opportunities to learn and develop meaningful and resilience-building strategies for staff based on the DERLS research-informed items. Finally, leaders will have an opportunity to reflect on their own resilience and explore strategies to build their personal bounce. For more information, click here!
- Building Your Bounce: Promoting Adult Resilience Train-the-Trainer Session
- Based on feedback from the field, the Devereux Center for Resilient Children is considering the development of a Building Your Bounce Train-the-Trainer Session to help build capacity in local communities in their efforts to promote well-being and resilience in adults. We’d greatly appreciate your feedback by taking five minutes to complete our brief survey around your interest. To thank you for your participation, you can enter into a drawing to win one of five copies of Building Your Bounce: Simple Strategies for a Resilient You. We thank you, in advance, for your help!
For more information and/or to schedule professional development in your community, please complete our Professional Development Needs Assessment Form or contact Debi Mahler, Director of Professional Development, at [email protected].